Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Till human voices wake us

 Recently, I have started listening to My Chemical Romance, and one of my friends likes to comment on this incessantly. Here is the last conversation I had with him on this subject.

Him: But seriously, My Chemical Romance? They're so emo-

Me: Hypocrite.

Him: What?

Me: (Looks him in the eye) Nirvana, bitch.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ (WARNING- moderately depressing) ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A couple of weeks back, my family drove to San Francisco for the day and went to the beach. We brought kites and the dog and went down to this little cove and played around for a few hours.
It was San Francisco, so naturally it was extremely windy, which is perfect for kiting, but rather annoying if you have long hair like I do. But in one of my few moments of complete sight, I looked down at my shadow and saw my hair dancing around me, looking like some sea creature from the depths of the ocean, like the world had suddenly changed order, and the wind rushing in my ears had turned to water, and if I looked up, I would see fish swimming through the clouds and gulls soaring through the surf. And as this surreal image occupied my mind, I was reminded of the ending stanzas from T.S. Elliot's "The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock"

"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

  I do not think they will sing to me.

  I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

  We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown."

This is kind of what it's like to be bipolar. You have these moments of- not exactly happiness, per se, but optimism. Unconquerability. You feel this wave of triumph and hope wash over you. Then the human voices ring out, and it's like waking up into a nightmare. The human voices wake you, and you drown.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I'm ice-rain. I just wanted to say that your blog is great! Your writing is absolutely splendid and I love the topics of your posts. They're all so moving, especially this one. It's great!
    That's all I had to say! Great blog again!

    ~ice-rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are truly a wonderful person for reading these d^_^b

      Delete